I wasn’t a big fan of low carb substitutes of bread until I tried these cauliflower keto bagels. I would never believe that something, where cauliflower is inside can taste so equal to usual pastry. What more, this recipe is very easy to make and even a less experienced cook will definitely do well. I promise you these bagels will satisfy your cravings after bread.
What I love about bread is that if you need some food to take out with you, and you have no possibility of warming it up, this is the easiest way to stay on your low carb track. We all know that food prep is the key to success or failure. If you always know in advance what your next food is going to be and you have access to it, you mostly sure won’t have cravings for junk food. You can put the Bagels easily in the freezer and take out as required.
The only complication could happen with the cauliflower. You have to squeeze all the water properly. First, it eliminates the taste of cauliflower and second the excess liquid would hinder the dough texture. Also while you mash the cauliflower, make sure it is very smooth. Big pieces could tear the dough while shaping bagels.
And if you are just of inspiration here is a tip for homemade cream cheese spread you can enrich your done bagels with. You only need 8 tbsp cream cheese, 4 tbsp olive oil, 2 garlic cloves, 2 tbsp fresh herbs (I used oregano and Italian parsley), 4 tbsp heavy cream, salt, and pepper. Mix all ingredients in a kitchen blender. Except for the spread I went for a certainty – BLT style. I baked the bacon in the oven crispy how I like it, some lettuce and tomatoes and the perfect bagel were there.
- 200 g / 7 oz cauliflower cooked and squeezed out of all water
- 4 eggs
- 80 g / 3 oz grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 125 g / 4,5 oz flaxseed meal
- 125 g / 4,5 oz almond meal
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Salt and Sesame seeds for sprinkle
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and cook until soft.
- Strain cauliflower and place it back into the pot, let it cool down.
- Preheat oven to 160C(320F) and line a baking pan with a parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl mix all dry ingredients. (Flaxseed flour, almond flour, chia seeds, cumin, baking powder, and salt).
- Mash the cauliflower with a kitchen blender. Put it in a clean cotton kitchen towel and squeeze out all the water.
- In a different bowl mix all wet ingredients. (Eggs, mozzarella, cauliflower).
- Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients and process into a thick dough.
- Divide dough into six equal pieces.
- With the help of a pastry bag or your own hands create out of every piece a bagel. (If you use your hands, first make a ball, then slightly squeeze it, and with your dumb create a hole in the middle)
- Sprinkle the top with salt and sesame seeds.
- Bake for 30 minutes, cover with aluminum foil if getting too dark on the top.