So, first of all, I have to say the only likeness with bread is in the name. If you expect a solid structure where you can spread butter or cream cheese on, this is not the recipe you are searching for. But you should give it a try. Zucchini bread, though it has nothing to do with the pastries you were used to, is full of nice flavors and is juicy and super healthy. I would much more compare it to a savory cake.
Zucchini bread is a great side dish. You can eat it with salad, fish, and it will also perfectly accompany any kinds of meat. It tastes great warm from the oven, but if you eat it next days out of the fridge, you don’t even need to warm it up, it tastes delicious cold also. I think it is an excellent substitute for pastries. Through the zucchini, you don’t use so many seeds and nuts like in the others low carb bread recipes which are making the dish pretty fatty. And we know that even low carb high-fat diet the carbs are replaced by healthy fats, but if we need/want to reduce weight we have to keep are fats in moderation.
I recommend after cleaning and grating the zucchini to leave it for 10 minutes to “cry out,” which basically means to get it rid of excess water through salting it and letting it rest. Also for those who don’t have flaxseed meal and want to replace it. You can probably replace it with a full amount of almond meal. But if you do so, be careful with adding water. Flaxseed binds a lot more water.
- 200 g/ 7 oz zucchini grated
- 75 g / 2,6 oz almond flour
- 75 g / 2,6 oz flaxseed flour
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 3 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 150 ml / 5 fl oz water
- Preheat oven to 180°C (360°F). Line a baking dish with parchment paper. (I used a form 16,5×7,5cm and 6cm deep)
- Clean and grate the zucchini. Make it cry out (salt it and let rest for a few minutes).
- Mix first all dry ingredients (flour, seeds, baking powder and salt)
- Then add zucchini, eggs, olive oil and slowly pour in water and mix into a smooth dough.
- Fill in the baking dish and bake uncovered for 15 minutes or until nicely brown.
- Before you remove it from the baking dish and start to cut into pieces let cool down. If the zucchini bread is hot, it will fall apart.