With two small kids, there is usually no time to spend hours in the kitchen and cooking can quickly turn into a fight for life, with a toddler hanging on your leg and burning food. How I would like to say, I never experienced such a situation 🙂 But! What doesn’t kill us, makes us stronger and I have learned to reduce the cooking time to a minimum needed. That is why I love to invent recipes I can prepare in a few minutes, and put them to bake themselves in the oven. Chicken breast is one of them. The next advantage is that for a cooking beginner is much easier to make a chicken perfect juicy out of the oven than from a skillet.
In this recipe I used spinach, but if you aren’t a big fan of it (which would, by the way, be a big pity, because spinach is so healthy and beneficial for us – think of Popeye, the sailor), you can choose another vegetable. A good option would be for example tomatoes or broccoli. But at least give it once a try, maybe you realize, that the taste of spinach won’t be so intense.
As a side dish, you can choose a simple green salad poured with olive oil and lemon juice. Quick, delicious and healthy. Remember low carb meal should always mainly consist out of vegetables! This is what many people likely forget and consume more protein and fats and wonder that they won’t get the promised results.
One thing should be clear low carb isn’t a diet! If your goal is weight reduction, you shouldn’t be starving! If you eat under your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate), like many people, who want to reduce weight does, your body will start to save, and your metabolism will slow down. You can easily calculate your BMR using this calculator.
Unfortunately the same happens in the opposite case. But at least there is some possibility to increase your BMR through doing sports and being active. Is quite easy, eat until satisfied! That doesn’t mean falling overate from the kitchen chair 😉 Intuitive eating should get much easier while restricting carbs. Your body will discern hunger from tastes.
- 400g / 14 oz. / 2 pieces of chicken breast
- 80g / 3 oz. fresh spinach leaves
- 1-2 garlic cloves (depends on your taste)
- 100g / 3 1/2 oz. / 6 slices bacon
- 50g / 2 oz. grated mozzarella
- Salt, pepper, red pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil/ butter (for the baking dish)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (for the chicken filling)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (Europe 175 degrees).
- Butterfly the chicken and close it again, sprinkle the top with pepper, salt, and red pepper.
- In a bowl mix chopped spinach leaves, with finely chopped garlic, mozzarella, salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Fill the chicken breast with the spinach mixture and close.
- Lay three slices of bacon over every chicken breast, tucking them on the side with a toothpick as on the picture.
- Put the chicken in a baking dish covered with oil or butter and bake for 30-35 minutes.