Many people who started to eat low carb mostly claim missing pizza. I’ll be honest there is actually nothing I miss. Because over time I realized that the keto alternations are even better if we don’t try to imitate, but we use are phantasy and play a little bit with the low carb foods. I always hated the edges on pizza and didn’t eat them. So what I actually loved on pizza, was the topping. And that is allowed. Cheese, ham and all the other yummy ingredients. That was the birth of broccoli pizza with cheese. So delicious!
So for me is this broccoli pizza with cheese even better than the usual one and it so much healthier! I would never think two years ago, how multifunctional could broccoli be. And I remember how I used to read this articles “you should eat broccoli at least once a week” and thought this is impossible to do. Now I guess I sometimes overeat of broccoli, luckily it is no problem with this vegetable.
You can put beside the tomato puree and cheese anything you like on your broccoli pizza. A nice dried ham, quality salami, champignons, and olives. Or you can mix more types of cheese and make something like Quattro Formaggi. I made as a Margherita. Actually, we had good friends in Tuscany, and they told us that the Italian original shouldn’t have more ingredients on it than three. I know this isn’t typical Italian pizza, but it came up on my mind, so I wanted to share. But the truth is, if the dough is good enough, you don’t need so much topping. And the cheesy broccoli crust is so soft you can almost eat it alone.
Some extra tips! You can easily recognize, the broccoli crust is ready when the edges start to be lightly brown. Before cutting and removing from parchment paper, let cool down a little bit. You can serve your broccoli pizza with some of your favorite sauces. (Obviously low carb ones).
Broccoli pizza with cheese can be served as a snack but also as a main meal of the day. It is also a great finger food for parties or a visit. Looking forward to your comments.
- 500 g / 18 oz broccoli rice
- 2 eggs
- 2 garlic cloves
- 90 g / 3,5 oz parmesan cheese grated
- 200 g / 7 oz mozzarella cheese grated
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Italian spices, salt pepper - for the dough
- Fresh Italian parsley, fresh oregano - on the top
- Preheat oven to 180°C (360°F). Line a pan with parchment paper.
- Cut broccoli in small florets and mix in blender until not bigger than couscous.
- In a medium-large bowl mix the broccoli rice with eggs, pressed garlic cloves, spices and half from each cheese.
- Scoop your broccoli mixture on the parchment paper.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Take out and cover your broccoli pizza crust with tomato puree, remaining cheese and fresh herbs. (You can add other things you like, salami, ham, champignons).
- Bake for another 4-6 minutes, until cheese melted and toppings are warmed up.
- Serve with your favorite low carb sauce 🙂